Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Mmmmmmm black bananas!


We had some over-ripe bananas that needed to not be in our kitchen anymore and so the logical solution was to make some bread. We weren't all that fond of the banana bread recipe that I have been using so I found a new one for us to try...and it was F-A-B-U-L-O-U-S!!...it only took us 12 hours to finish the loaf and we were sleeping for part of that time :) I honestly think that next time I am at the store I will buy some black bananas so that I don't have to wait for them to turn into bread making material! Here's the recipe for your baking pleasure...

Yummy Healthy Banana Bread
1½ hours 20 min prep
SERVES 6 -8

1/2 cup sweetened applesauce
1/2 cup white sugar
4 very ripe bananas, mashed
1 1/2 cups plain flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon baking soda
cinnamon and brown sugar (for sprinkling)
**i also sprinkled some chopped walnuts on top

Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease 7X7" tin or a 9X5" bread tin. (7x7" cooks faster)
Mix applesauce and sugar in a bowl. If using unsweetened applesauce, add about 2 tablespoons of sugar extra.
Add bananas and mix. Add flour, salt, vanilla essence and baking soda. Mix quickly but thoroughly.
Pour into tin. Sprinkle with some brown sugar and cinnamon powder. Put into oven immediately.
Bake until a knife inserted in the centre comes out clean (A little mashed banana on the knife is ok as there's so much fruit. If in doubt, taste to see it doesn't taste of raw flour). *The pan I used was a darker metal 9x5" loaf pan and it took approximately 55 minutes to bake*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds delicious!! And you are getting your potassium! :) Reminds me of making banana bread when we were out there when Jackson was born! Hmmm..everything reminds me of Jackson for some reason!!

xoxo Mom

Angela said...

You little home maker you! It's funny that you had this post because I just looked at a banana in my kitchen very similar looking and thought...well that's crap. And for just a second I considered banana bread but then decided that would be too much effort. And into the garbage can it went :)