Sunday, October 18, 2009

Best Grandpa and Grandma EVER!

Last weekend we were so excited to have Grandpa and Grandma Haskin here with us as house guests. We have been trying to get them out to see us for some time now and we LOVED having them here. It was so nice to have so much quality time to spend with them.

After they arrived on Friday night we took them to dinner (or rather they took us to dinner) at a local family style diner. After dinner we came back to the house, visited for a while, and then Grandpa and Grandma went to bed early since they had been up early and on the road all day.

Saturday morning I got up early and made everyone blueberry waffles, bacon, and sausage for breakfast. I also got some yummy chicken noodle soup going in the crock pot so that lunch would be ready when we returned from our adventure. We decided that we were going to take them for a ride up Blacksmith Fork Canyon to Hardware Ranch.


In the winter time herds of elk migrate to Hardware Ranch where they are fed throughout the winter months. They come back each winter due to limited vegetation for them to feed on naturally at the higher elevations. Although the elk weren't at the ranch yet, we still had a wonderful time looking at the beautiful fall colors in the canyon and visiting with a real life mountain man at the festival that was going on up at the ranch.

Next we went to the Raspberry farm not far from our house in hopes that we weren't too late for some fresh raspberries. Unfortunately, the only raspberries we found were in the decomp pile. Good thing we had much better luck at the pumpkin patch! Grandpa and Grandma helped Travis and I pick out the perfect pumpkins and we also got some fresh apple cider that had been made only a few hours earlier that morning.

We got home later than we planned and had a late lunch. So by dinner time we weren't that hungry. Grandma and I decided that we would make her famous homemade chocolate pudding for dinner with some bread and butter. It was delicious and I am thrilled to know how to make this childhood favorite of mine! Saturday night we stayed up late (until 11:30) watching CSI repeats. Who knew that Grandma loved that show so much?!

Sunday the weather was dreary. We had hoped to take Grandpa and Grandma up another canyon, but seeing as it was SNOWING in the mountains that wasn't going to work. We took it easy most of the day. Grandpa enjoyed watching Animal Planet and Discovery Channel and Grandma helped me with my massive amount of laundry. For lunch we made homemade pizza...YUM!

It cleared off just enough in the afternoon for us to take the dogs across the street to run out some of their energy. Grandpa and Grandma both got a kick out of watching them run after the tennis ball time and time again. They even took some turns throwing the ball with our Chuck-it toy

Grandma and Roxy

Grandpa and Noobie (funny how the ball is on the ground

Funniest quote of the weekend came on the way back from the school. Roxy was visibly exhausted and stopped to take a poo. Grandma says "Well look at that, you ran the crap right out of her!" We all cracked up! :)

Dinner Sunday night was grilled hamburgers, chips, and snickers salad...Grandpa's favorite!


"I might as well polish off the rest of that salad"

After dinner, Travis and Grandma continued the CSI marathon while Grandpa helped me hang some decor in our bathroom. I was QUITE impressed with the agility of this naerly 78-year old!



It was such a GREAT weekend and the only part that I didn't enjoy was telling them good-bye on Monday morning. My grandparents have always been so special to me and I cherish every minute I get to spend with them and every conversation that we have. I have made it part of my weekly routine to call and chat with them to keep up on the latest happenings in all of our lives. I look forward to each time we chat and now I look forward to the next visit!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh what precious memories!!! Ones you will never forget!! :)

Love you!! Mom & Dad H.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you had a good time. Your grandparents look great!
Love mom A

Jeannie said...

What a sweet grand daughter you are. I hope my grankids treat me as good as you do them. They are so lucky to have you and you them. I am glad you treasure them and know you are lucky to have them.

Heidi said...

There's just something special about awesome grandparents...looks like you have some pretty dang good ones.