Sunday, May 31, 2009

White & Red Baldy

Before anybody cracks any jokes, the title of this post is not intended to reflect the "before" and "after" state of the top of my head although it would probably be a fairly accurate description right now. Red Baldy and White Baldy are two 11,000 foot peaks here in the Wasatch, both of which sit along the Alpine Ridge between Little Cottonwood Canyon and American Fork Canyon. Both of these peaks are familiar territory for me. I've summited each of the peaks twice before. The route we planned to follow, however, was different from what I'd previously done and I was really looking forward to exploring another section of what has become my favorite area in the Wasatch Mountains. The route we planned to follow was a classic Wasatch Mountain Club route called Red/White/Red/White. Our plan was to hike up Red Pine Canyon, climb up the west face of White Baldy, follow the ridge across to Red Baldy, glissade down the west face of Red Baldy and then hike out White Pine Canyon back to the car. Below are a few of the pics from the climb. You can see more of them on summitpost.

Working our way towards the face of White Baldy


Taking a break on the summit of White Baldy


Jason down climbing a steep slope on the est ridge of White Baldy


Good thing I spent some time at the rock gym


Ammon and Jason taking a break on the east ridge of White Baldy.

8 comments:

Heidi said...

You seriously are way more brave than I ever will be!! Here it is, the beginning of June, and you are still climbing around in SNOW. The scenery is beautiful though, thanks for posting pictures so we all can enjoy the pretty places you go.

Sarah Atwood said...

You never cease to amaze me cute boy! The pictures are incredible. I admire your passion for mountaineering and am so glad that you have good guys to go up there with you and make sure you come home to me safely! :)

V.I.C.K.I. said...

You have a pretty cool life, T.

Heidi and Keith said...

Holy cow. I don't think I ever realized exactly what you meant when you say yougo climbing. wow. It's amazing. What views you must see. Way to go!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing what standing on a ladder and having the right background illuminated behind you can do in a picture? Technology today is great!! :) Just kidding..the pictures are beautiful. Glad you had fun.
Love you! Dad and Mom H.

Anonymous said...

wow, my sweet boy, you are truly amazing. And so are the pic. you take!!!!!!
LOVE YA TONS,
Mom A

Jeannie said...

you live such an adventure filled fun life. You always make me wish I were braver. Great photos as usual. Thanks for letting me see places I will never go to.

Ammon said...

I can't believe I didn't think of that joke! AUGH! 9 hours on this trip and I never once made fun of your hairline. I must be slipping.