Friday, November 18, 2011

Moving On


About 7 and half years ago I got a job working for a local hot tub manufacturer by the Name of Bullfrog Spas. They needed a French speaker to help take care of dealerships in Montreal and Quebec, as well as their English speaking dealers in the US and in Europe. It was a good job to help put me through school and a good opportunity to be involved with a small company that was growing really quickly. They were willing to work with my school schedule and even help pay some of my tuition. It was a fantastic opportunity!

After doing dealer support for a few years, I moved upstairs to work with Bullfrog's marketing department as a marketing assistant. At the time, I still hadn't decided what I wanted to pursue in school but thought that marketing / advertising was worth looking into. After working in this department for 6 months or so, our graphic designer quit and my boss decided to give me a shot at a few design projects as we looked for a replacement. This was a great opportunity for me to do some actual design work! We never did end up bringing in somebody else and I soon found myself spending most of my day working on design projects.

My good friend Clay, our web designer at the time, took over as our senior designer and helped me along as I figured things out. I'd been studying design at school for a few semesters and as my skills improved, I started taking on larger projects. Before long, Clay moved on to another department and I was left to handle all of the design work. Everything from billboards, newspaper ads and websites, to brochures and promotional material and even trade show booths. Somewhere along the way, we also dumped our contract photographer and I was able to take over all of Bullfrog's photography work as well.

I thought my time at Bullfrog would come to an end when Sarah and I decided to move up to Logan, but Bullfrog wanted to keep me and allowed me to work from home. I set up an office in our spare bedroom and, with the exception of driving to Salt Lake for photo shoots or meetings, I've spent the last 2 and a half years working in my underwear (Ha, no not really). But seriously, It's been a great run and I'm very appreciative to those that gave me opportunities to pursue what started out as a job and has since become a passion!

After Thanksgiving, I'll be starting a new job as a graphic designer for a company up here in Logan called Icon Health & Fitness. My commute time will increase significantly from 30 seconds to about 3 minutes, but I think I'll survive. I'm looking forward to this new opportunity and for the chance to have some coworkers again.

3 comments:

Brett and Steph Hansen said...

Congrats!!!! Sounds like the perfect job for you!

Heidi said...

Awesome news!!! Sorry about the tripled commute time though :) Can't wait to hear the nitty gritty about the job this weekend.

Angela said...

Super exciting! Congratulations! I doubt you'll find any co-workers as awesome as this one girl I heard you worked with at Bullfrog. But then that was expected and I believe predicted from the almost the day you met her :-)