Monday, March 28, 2011

Mt. Olympus

This past Saturday I was finally able to get out and do some winter climbing! My ice ax has been sitting in my closet for well over a year collecting dust...needless to say, I was really exited to get out and enjoy the snow. Sarah, Jackson, and I drove down to SLC on Friday and stayed the night with Brian and Maggie. Early Saturday Brian and I got up, picked up my good friend and longtime climbing partner Ammon and headed up Mt. Olympus. It had snowed the previous day and there was a storm coming in late Saturday so we hoped to catch a break and summit in between storms. We couldn't have asked for a better day! We got some wind and clouds on the way back down, but other than that it was a beautiful day! Here are a few photos from the trip...

Ammon and Brian starting their way up the 3rd class section to the summit. Until this point the route follows a steep trail up the mountain. This is where the fun part starts.


Brian working his way up steep slope. The snow was nice and firm so ice ax's helped on the climb.


Brian and Ammon reaching the summit ridge.


It's a nice stroll along the ridge from here.


Climbing along the summit ridge. The Salt Lake valley is far below.


Dromedary, Sunrise, and Broads Fork Twin Peaks. I'm looking forward to a trip that traverses all three in the next few months.


Ammon and Brian on top of Mt. Olympus!


Brian and I on the summit.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do you all wear red so those of us that stay in the valleys below can see you at the top? Looks beautiful up there! xoxo Mom A.

Anonymous said...

Travis - I am sure that you had the chance to get out and do something fun. I'm sure these last few weeks of school are weighing heavily on the nerves. You make us very proud!!! Can't wait to get out there in a week to see you guys! Love Larry

V.I.C.K.I. said...

Thanks a lot for getting Brian hooked on ANOTHER hobby!

Unknown said...

Travis, i showed several people that pic and they think we are brothers, my dad thought that pic of you over the valley was me. Didn't know we were look a like's...let's get another one on the calendar!!